Monday, November 05, 2007

Struck
So I recently sent Robin a bunch of my favorite "This American Life" episodes, because I know that he's going to be putting in long hours when he's opening another branch of Kuai, and he'll want something to entertain him either at the restaurant or driving back and forth to the restaurant. He called tonight to give me feedback on some of the episodes that he's listened to so far, and one of them includes one of my absolute favorite acts: an oral reading of the short story "Sarah Cole: A Type of Love Story" by Russell Banks. I remember when I first heard that story when it aired I was dumbstruck. It is such amazing writing and reverberates with sadness.

Robin told me that he found the full short story online (the reading is slightly abridged on the show), so I googled it immediately and found it here. I suspect that it's even more powerful when you hear the most excellent reading of it on the show, so you can find that here. Get ready to pay attention for awhile, though, because the entire reading is 42 minutes.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here is some more of Starlee Kine's work (the break-up song chick): http://www.postitnotestories.com/authors/stories/5

Pretty entertaining. Too bad she has that annoying lisp. You should offer to help her fix it.

moveable blog said...

girl, that story wrecks me every time. i remember the first time i heard it, i sat in the target parking lot at seven corners until if ended. and then i couldn't stop crying.

Anonymous said...

hey Kristin, did you ever read Rule of the Bone by Russell Banks

K said...

I think that your copy of that book is still sitting in "my" room at home, but I never read it!