Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Bits and Pieces
Gah! Has it really been almost a month since I've last posted? Yeah, it has. What's happened in the last month? Well:
- went to NY to visit Grace, Clarence and Jonathan
- spring break for a whirlwind 3-day wedding planning extravaganza in metropolitan DC (most of the stuff got done!)
- moved most of my worldly possessions into Todd's place, so now it has become *our* place. Moving sucks so very much, but we're getting settled in here and it's getting less chaotic every day with boxes all around.

Oh, and last night we went to see Explosions in the Sky play at the Congress Theater, which is only a couple of blocks away now. It was my first time at the Congress, and I was expecting it to be kind of gross, but I liked it. It has enormous and decaying, but grand--you should see the ceiling. Plus, the main floor is sloped, so wherever you stand, you can totally see the band. It was my second time seeing them, but I really like seeing EITS live: their music sweeps you up and the increased loudness makes it amazing.

The crowd is mostly people who stand/sway quietly taking in the music, but there were some noticeably loud, noticeably drunken people. There were two girls there who looked like they had returned from Spring Break CANCUN! just yesterday: they kept on shrieking over the music and one kept on bellowing "YEAH: Motherfucker!" Todd heard the same girl yell "I'm going to see my sorority BITCHES later!" EITS is instrumental and therefore not what I would classify as a partyitup-music kind of band so I'm puzzled how those people ended up there. I don't begrudge their good time, but they were annoying, so we ended up moving across the floor to escape them. Then we stood next to two loud drunk dudes, one of whom yelled "Freebird!" at one point. Again, so weird.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm really happy for Explosions in the Sky that they have achieved the level of success that they have, but it has, not surprisingly, meant that some of the audience at any given show is not exactly invested in the performance. When I saw them last year, I heard some girls who had obviously been dragged to the show by their boyfriends asking such questions as "Is this really how the song goes?" and "So, there aren't any vocals?"

During the opening set by Lichens at an EITS show in San Francisco a few weeks ago, I was standing about four feet away from some guy who was talking in an increasingly loud voice about the music. He claimed that he was really into it, but he talked through almost the whole performance, offering such useful information as the fact that he hadn’t gotten high in a while before that night. The performer was using processed vocals to make up much of his sound, and at several points Mr. Annoying decided he should try to sing along. I was thinking about giving him a dirty look, but I took a quick glance and decided that he had probably spent time in prison, so I just kept my annoyance to myself. Thankfully, he decided to move before EITS played.

K said...

Hey, Lichens is from Chicago! I'm surprised that they opened in SF.

I agree that the number of people being dragged to the show has probably increased recently.