Monday, January 15, 2007

How it Began
To briefly catch up, I completed my first two days of my job. I got extremely lucky and have the exiting SLP around for about three weeks so I can ease my transition. It helps to take my time meeting the kids, meeting the staff, and learning about the paperwork. Otherwise it would be a lot more frenzied, and a lot more stressful. I was a bit worried to try a new school since my school placement was so ideal, mostly because the kids were perfect angels. I'm happy to report that the kids who I've met so far at my new school are equally angelic. Plus, the SLP is leaving behind tons of materials, a beautiful therapy room (with an enormous picture window), and lots of organization. So far, so good. Plus, I got paid for today, a school holiday! It's a nice contrast to my other placements where I sometimes SLAVED, and paid a lot (both monetarily and spiritually) for the experience.

Plus, my commute is awesome. It takes me about 15 minutes door to door to get home, so I've been getting home by around 3-3:15. I know once the SLP is gone I'll probably stick around longer to get work done, but I'll still be home before 5, most likely.

In other news, I ended my week last week by taking my geology midterm. Brutal. It took me 2.5 hours and by the end I was ready to chuck it since my hands were hurting from writing. 15 definitions and 10 non-negotiable essays. But, that marks my half-way point of the course, and I bled along the way.

But this weekend was a good time. Todd and I went to see Mission of Burma and Pinebender perform at the Double Door. It was a great show, partly because the crowd was so varied (there were a lot of people who were in their 50s). Mission of Burma played two high-energy sets, and the show was still over by midnight. My kind of show. Unfortunately, the cigarette smoke at the show kicked Todd's burgeoning cold into high gear. He was out of commission all weekend, poor dude. He was mildly cheered by the Bears win on Sunday, but had to miss Indian buffet last night.

Laura, Megan, Katie and I went to Devon (Indian-town of Chicago, complete with grocery stores specializing in dried spices and gleaming department stores chock full of glamourous saris and fabric) and partook in a sumptuous buffet. It was such a deal! Besides the buffet, they brought hot buttered naan to the table and sizzling platters of chicken tandoori. All for $9.95. One of my new favorite places in Chicago.

So the week begins again tomorrow. I'm plowing through the last week of my intensive education course for teacher's certifcation, but I can put geology aside for a little bit. I've been running around today running errands: getting a much needed haircut, hassling NU's registrar to fill out paperwork for liscensure, grocery shopping, and working out. Now I'm pooped and am contemplating changing my sheets and changing in my pajamas. Chicago got some snow today and it's starting to stick, so I may take the bus to work tomorrow.

No comments: