Wednesday, May 19, 2004

Crazy Flashes from the Past
This has been quite an eventful week, in terms of people popping up from the past. On Friday night, I got a call from Bronwyn close to midnight, which was out of the ordinary. When I checked messages, the message was from a high school friend who I hadn't spoken to since graduation. He, another high school friend, and Bronwyn were out drinking margaritas one night during our Ten Year Reunion weekend (which I opted out of), and he had nabbed Bronwyn's phone to call. I called back and spoke to both Abdi and Tom, which was kind of wild. TEN years. Jesus.

And then, last night, I got an email that I was set to delete, suspecting that it was spam, until I noticed the subject heading: "Hello from ISI." ISI was our beloved school in Islamabad that I left in eighth grade, yet the bonds from alumni are still pretty tight. Anyhow, the message was from this fellow, Dave, who was in eighth grade with me--he had gotten my address from Robert (names given in case you might know who they are) who I had been in touch with about three years ago. Dave was the gangly funny man when we were in middle school with a massive crush on my friend, Christie. He coaxed his family to name their dog after her, which still kind of cracks me up to this day. Regardless, Dave was out of my sphere of thought for about 14 years now, so it was wild to see his name again. Apparently, he's in DC now finishing up grad school and is headed to Chicago next year as well.

No comments: