Monday, May 10, 2004

FOUND Magazine
Annie and I went to see the FOUND Magazine tour at Politics & Prose this past Saturday. We were expecting it to be swamped with people, but overestimated the popularity of the magazine since we got there at 5:30 and the reading area was empty for their show at 6. We installed ourselves in the front row, bought the new book, and waited breathlessly. The show was great. Davy Rothbart, who created the magazine, was this outrageously personable young fellow who was dressed in mad hip hop gear, sporting some crazy fake bling (my favorite was the big, metal peace sign that was *taped up*). He read aloud and told the stories of some of the Found items from the book, and then his brother came up and sang a couple of numbers based on some of the items (the best was a sweet folk number called "The Booty Don't Stop").

Annie and I stayed around after to talk to Davy and have him sign our books, and I totally degenerated into a silent, wide-eyed puddle of nerves when he started talking to us...you know, really emanating with coolness. I'm proud to say that Davy signed my book with the message: Kristin, It's grass roots leaders like you that make a difference! Love, Davy. Matt was all, "What the hell is that supposed to mean?" when I showed it to him, but I'm telling you, it's very meaningful. Believe. Anyway, this is all to say that FOUND is doing a 50 state tour over the next year or so, and I highly recommend trying to catch up with them if you can. Plus, the book is awesome.

No comments: