Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Oh my god
James recounts a science project that he did as "a 14-year old with a mullet." Priceless.

That reminds me of stories that I gleaned from Emily when we were living together. Emily was starting her first year as an eighth grade teacher in Richmond Public Schools, and she was generous with tales of her students. A few of my favorites:

1. On the first test she gave, Emily showed me some of the things that she got handed back. One of the questions she put together was an essay, something like: "Explain three unique things about the Paleolithic era."

One answer was:
Don't catch an attitude, but I forget.

Another was, nothing but a little drawing of a snail. Emily just put down a big question mark beside it.

2. Students had to make posters representing different African countries. One student wanted to communicate that their particular country had a lot of gold, so they wrote a large "Bling-Bling" on the corner of the poster. Awesome.

3. Once her teacher book was stolen, and she quickly figured out who had taken it, since their answer to the essay question was:

Answers may vary.

No comments: