Wednesday, January 28, 2004

Last night I was treated to a double helping of reality TV: "American Idol," (AI) followed right up by "America's Next Top Model" (ANTM). Dare I say that AI is wearing out its welcome for me? I know, we all thought the day would never come. It used to be kind of cheesily appealing, but I think it's even lost that now. Not to say that I won't be watching it anymore, because you know I will. I was rooting for this one dude whose gimmick was a crying dad who confessed that he came in on a boat from "Indo-China" 20 years ago and now his son is living the American dream because it's too late for he and his wife. All I could think was: "who calls it Indo-China, anymore?" I'm probably ignorant, since the the words came out of the dad's mouth, but still. Doesn't that sound so colonial and dated? I don't know.

I know that everyone's dying to know what happened on ANTM, and I'll put you out of your misery and tell you. The models got new hairdos, and then had a contest where they had to try to do the best "smokey eye," all while sharing the same mirror. After that, they had to do a photo shoot while hanging from these wires. I don't know how the producers some up with these missions, because if these women were "top" models, would they even have to worry about doing their own makeup? Anyway, I officially can't stand Catie, the 18-year old ingenue who hated her new pixie cut. I'm rooting for April, who seems relatively classy and looks to be at least part Asian (woooo!) but is so far wholly drama-free, so I don't know if they'll allow for her to win.

I am going to be sincerely sad when this whole reality thing ends. I eat up this terrible tv.

No comments: