Friday, April 02, 2004

Friday afternoon
So sleepy, battling food coma. Friday afternoons are really the most excruciating things since it's like you can basically taste the weekend around the corner. I, for one, taste a nap. Anyway, I've referenced the Washington Post's free daily before, but this morning I ran across their "Speak Up" column in the back. I don't know if their staff people write for it or if they purport to try to find Everyday Washingtonians, but I've noticed a couple of different people in the pictures that are featured by the columns. They haven't impressed me too much in the past, but I liked the one today called "Call of the Child" by a guy named Dan Miller (a fellow W&M alumni, apparently!) who writes about how there seems to be a growing number of little ones around. I won't go into detail, but I've got to crib one particularly evocative portion of it that I thought was great:

I mean, sure, I like babies. They have fun, fat little cheeks and I like how they're equally likely to shriek or laugh at the sight of everyday objects. They're also infinitely weird--with their macaroni-like fingers and gurgling, grapefruit-sized heads (heads so heavy their necks sag under the weight). They're people, only smaller. And they don't know anything.

Clarence always wondered why I love kids in their fat infant stages: he felt that they are like bland, shapeless "amoebas," but I feel like that passages captures what I find so alluring about babies. The fatter, the better as far as I'm concerned.

No comments: