Friday, April 16, 2004

Friday and Gorgeous
It's an unbelievably lovely day here in DC. 68 and sunny, after a week of dreary rain. I think everyone is about to burst. I also had dinner with Anne last night where she made a chicken pistachio salad (recipe from the SBD book) and it was fricking unbelievable. Find the book, find the recipe, and make it.

Heavily Armed
So Carrie, aforementioned erstwhile friend, is in Jakarta now, employed at the UN (how sexy is that?) and she had sent a little anecdote a couple of days ago that tickled me. I asked her permission to post to this blog, and she allowed, so here it is:

What up with me…. More Jakarta life. Am sitting here at my desk and I do have to go and start looking productive soon. But you will get a kick out of this:

There is a section here called the “Conflict prevention and recovery unit” that does stuff in small arms and I have no idea what else. They all have short, dyed hair and look fierce, however. Then recently they sent around a questionnaire. This was so they could collect the impressions of people in the office about small arms. One of the pages has all these pictures of weapons on it. Huge, black pictures. The weapons include: rifles, assault rifles, rocket propelled grenade launchers, sniper rifles, something called a MAN PAD!! (Does Tampax know about this?) a hand grenade. Absolutely hysterical. Then there is this question under all the photos, which I misread to read:

“Which of these weapons have you seen and how often do you use them?”

Are you kidding!?!?

I was rolling in the hallways for days over this one. Absolutely. And then someone pointed out that it was actually “how often do you **see** them” and I thought that was somewhat less funny, but still worth a chuckle.

Living in Jakarta, though a rough town, I can’t say I’ve seen too many rocket propelled grenade launchers. But hey! Thanks for asking!!


No comments: