Sunday, April 11, 2004

Home for Easter
I'm lounging at home this morning before becoming slaving over the stove. My mom has put me in charge of all of the carb-heavy side dishes for dinner--stuffing and mashed potatoes. SBD Hell.

I did realize that I am my mother's daughter this morning, though. As I was sitting at the breakfast table, drinking my coffee, reading the news and minding my own business, my mom said to me "something happened this morning that will gross you out." There was an actual emphasis on 'gross' and there was a tinge of relish in that statement.

She then went on to tell me that when she walked into the bathroom, she found a mouse floating in the toilet bowl. At my howls, she started cackling. I would have loved getting a reaction from that as well.

But the exciting news is that my parents have succumbed and are considering getting a cat. I offered to jump up right then and there to check out the shelters with them, but I think they were a little put off by my enthusiasm, and my mom started yelling "we have to think about this!" We're so going to go next week, though. One cat has already caught my eye. I went to the Northern Virginina SPCA web site and they have a cat for adoption named Ali. He is a big affectionate orange tabby, and he got his name because he used to hang around a local mosque and visit with the people there. How cute is that? If my parents decide they don't want to have a cat, Ali can come with me to Chicago. Kristin and Ali, making it together in a new city: I can see it now.

No comments: