Sunday, June 13, 2004

Ten Years Later
In the trend of touching base with old friends, I spoke on Saturday with an old friend from high school, Tom. I knew Tom since he was the boyfriend of one of my best friends back then, Lauren. Lauren went off to Vassar and is now happily married in Portland, but I lost track of Tom right after graduation. I do have his old dictionary, though, so every time I open it, I see his name written on the front page in blue ball point cursive script. Anyway, through the magic on Friendster, I got in touch with Tom again and happily will be able to grab a drink with him in a couple of weeks when he comes through DC for business. It was great catching up with him on the phone, since Tom was always an easy talker, and we had ten years to catch up on as well as a report on the ten year reunion that I missed last month.

Tom told me that the reunion was a good, redemptive experience for him. He reported that things kicked off on Friday night when the class of 1994 gathered for drinks at the house of one of the day students back then, whose family lived virtually on campus. He said that you could separate people between East Coast vs. West Coast (the bulk of people being the former). The West Coast tended to be jean-clad and more casual, whereas the East Coast were much more well-dressed. Tom said that there was a lot of khakis worn as well, in true prep school tradition.

Here are three things that we decided that Tom should have done at the party:

1. Worn sweat pants.

2. Asked one of the khaki-clad people if they were working at Kinko's now.

3. Asked someone, sans irony, if they thought if he and Lauren still had a chance.

If only...

No comments: