Tuesday, June 01, 2004

In the mind of a third grader
Check out this site to see segments of Amy's Third Grade Diary--it's priceless.

A few years ago I stumbled across my own second and third grade diary. I painstakingly recorded daily occurrences into the little My Melody book. It had come with a lock, but I had lost it along the way, thank God. It's alarmingly like Amy's in that BOYS were a major life priority. However, my all important priority was food. Most days, I recorded what we had for dinner. If we had occasion to go out to eat, I wrote down both what I had and what my older brother ordered. It was actually kind of alarming just how much detail I devoted to the topic. Anyway, I guess that I'm maintained the same trajectory ever since, in that food and boys are close to my mind at all times, but very little is said about my life direction and goals. I should have written my grad school applications on this--what school wouldn't have wanted me?

On a happy note, though, I confirmed with Northwestern that they do indeed have me as registered for the program this fall. I had this deep-seeded fear that I would move myself halfway across the country, show up on campus on registration day, and have them go: "huh?"

Can you even imagine?

No comments: