Sunday, July 25, 2004

Mrs. and Mrs.
Bryan and Des's wedding was a fantastic success! Desiree looked stunning in her gown and Bryan looked dapper in his tux, and it was a moving and intimate ceremony in the Wren Chapel. Embarassingly, I had never been inside it in all of my years at W&M, but I was glad to see it for this occasion. Anne and I got down to Williamsburg on Friday, and the festivities began with rehearsal and dinner and the cocktail hour at the Bed and Breakfast that was nearby.

What was particularly great about the wedding was that all of my favorite people from college gathered for it. Christie and Stefan came from Conneticut, Grace came from New York, Zack and Jenny from mid-move; it was also the first time that the entirety of the FOG gathered since...graduation? Jeebus. I took lots and lots of pictures and perpetrated my camera and flash on the night, so I'll post those tomorrow night when I'll be able to download them.

I am also happy to report that my poem recitation was not the superfastrecitation that I feared. I breathed in and out and tried to enunciate and read slowly. The one snafu was that my shoes were particularly loud on the way out and the clack-clack-clack was made worse when I decided to trot back to my pew seat to get the noise over with. If that was the worst of it, though, I don't have anything to complain about.

Bryan described the cake to me beforehand, btw, and I am happy to report that the carrot cake that I tried was awesome. So was the dancing (they played "Bizarre Love Triangle"!), and the crab dip, and the Hospitality House soaps that smelled like lilies, and the reception site on the patio of the alumni house.

Anne and I decided to prolong the weekend of fun, and stopped in Richmond on the way back to have lunch with Bill at the Baker's Crust. It was fabulous, as expected, but may I just say the the signage and roads into Richmond from 64 are completely whack. I was cursing up a bluestorm over the idiocy of it all.

Anyway, thanks to Des and Bry--now married--for the great weekend and I hope that they're enjoying their much-deserved honeymoon. I'm a bit sleepy right now, and could use an early night, but I'm a not a little sad that this event has passed. Now I just need to pressure some other friends to start looking into getting married so I can look forward to another great party.

No comments: