Thursday, February 26, 2004

Dictator ____________
Grace suggested that I keep track of my weekly imaginary husbands (the site does need to live up to his name), so I'll start doing so. A little background for those who don't know it:

Last month I was telling her about this article that I had read in the Atlantic Monthly about Saddam Hussein (great article, btw) and his little idiosyncracies as a dictator. For instance, he would write these melodramatic love story plays and make people perform them on the one Iraqi television station. Don't quote me on that, but it was something of that ilk. That kind of amused me. Anyway, as I was talking to Grace I concluded that if I were a dictator, I would do something up that alley. I wouldn't be interested in conquering other countries, or building up my wealth or other dictator hoohah, but I would be interested in all the fantasies of a typical 13 year old girl. I would hold concerts and force people come to see me sing and dance. I would force all of the weekly entertainment magazines focus their stories on me every week. And, most importantly, I would force the pinup boy of the moment to betroth me.

Ah, but my fancy is fickle and fleeting, so you would know who I'm currently taken with by what my last name has become. This week, I am Dictator Gyllenhaal.

The people of my land would probably be poor and suffering from extraordinarily bad infrastructures, but they would be the most pop culturally educated in all of the world.

Actually, it would only be a matter of time before I would be overthrown in a coup, so I better hurry up and marry and divorce all of these guys while I have the power. Stay tuned for next week's pick. Hint: Dirty Dancing Havanna Nights.

No comments: