Monday, February 23, 2004

For a small girl, Barbara sure has got a big crush...
Last night I went to see Fountains of Wayne for the third time at the 9:30 club. As usual, they put on a tight, flawless concert that offered a nice selection of their catalog. This band puts together such perfect power pop confections that I have difficulty articulating my love for them. I'm happy that they got some recognition to be nominated as Best New Band from the Grammies, but they've been around since at least 1996, and the Grammies are sort of bobo anyway. Anyway, their concerts are so high energy that I bounce around and sing and am generally annoying and then look all around me to see people standing there, stoic and not moving. How is that possible at a concert, especially one where you're surrounded by such delicious beats?

I was alarmed to see so many little kids there last night, though, but I guess that's what happens when a single gets so much radio play and it's a little gimmicky like "Stacy's Mom" is. I need to adjust to the fact that this band has moved from being my beloved indie little secret to being America's teenage population's Flava of the Moment.

It was a big music weekend in that Saturday night we went to the State Theater to see Cindy's band play. Very much fun, although now I am convinced that the State Theater bartender shortchanged me. I thought I had given him a $20 and he told me that I gave him a $10. Later I backtracked my expenditures, and there is no way I gave that dude a $10. Jerk.

No comments: