Tuesday, February 03, 2004

Yesterday I went with my boss and Don to listen to this speaker at the Spy Museum. We went as guests of my boss's friend who works there and to fill seats: the opportunity comes up sometimes, and I usually try to take advantage of it since this is something I would normally never think to do.

Last night's speaker was a fellow who had written a book about spy shows on American television. He began with the likes of "The Man from U.N.C.L.E." and ended with "24" and "Alias," (he likes both very much, btw). The speaker himself was a really interesting guy since he had been diagnosed with some sort of eye disorder when he was a young man that has now rendered him completely blind. So, while he was presenting, when the clips would go on, he would rely on audience reaction and sounds to figure out what was on the screen.

The audience was filled with spy-show honchos (besides yours truly, of course), which really came out in the Question and Answer section at the end.

Audience Member #1: Can you think of *anyone* worse than Robert Goulet in "Blue Moon Agency?"

Audience Member #2: Um, are you forgetting the "Seventh Level" of 1962 that ran four episodes?

Audience Member #1: Touche, mon frere!

Of course, this is just the general idea since I didn't catch any of the actual names people threw around. I am pretty ignorant of spy shows in general, but what I came out with from this whole session was this:

1.) "The Avengers" (of the 1960s) and "The Prisoner" = Good.
2.) The 1980s as a decade for spy shows = Bad.
3.) The audience will boo you if you besmirch "Hogan's Heroes." (One dude did this, and everyone started protesting. One man behind me was so moved in his anger, he blurted out "IDIOT!!")

I wish that someone had given me the mike, I would have asked if people had been watching UPN's 'America's Next Top Model," season deux. Now that's a show!

No comments: