Monday, February 16, 2004

Teenagers
By the way, I tried to meet Annie for coffee at this place in Clarendon (same place outside of which I slipped on ice a few weeks back, actually), and the place was completely chaotic. I appreciate that people are patronizing an independent place like that with their business, but I was astounded. This particular place has four huge rooms with sofas, tables, and other trappings for sitting down with your coffee and a friend, and everything was overrun. The doors kept on opening with people coming in, and I didn't see a soul leaving the entire time that I was there. I got there before Annie did, and I ran across a couple of seats that were empty and immediately squatted. Unfortunately, I was sitting next to a group of teenagers. I couldn't help but listen to them drone a bit. These weren't the preps of their school, but I would guess maybe they were part of their drama department, or fancied themselves as the "alternative" kids in their schools. They had sketch books, and used overly precocious 50 cent words. Their self-consciousness was palpable. They also had like one drink each, that they had obviously been nursing since the morning as their cups were dried and caked. Man, teenagers are annoying.

No comments: