Tuesday, February 10, 2004

It's Dog Show Time!
Last night the Westminster Dog Show was on, and I was treated to the working dog category as the very first one! I was pleased to see that my favorite contestant from last year--Josh, the Newfoundland--was back and won the best in his group! (Go, Josh.)

I tortured Marv, and made him watch the toy group, which just cracks me up. All of those little dogs whose eyes are all googly and rest almost below their mouths. They look like little gargoyles. The one that slayed me the most was the Japanese chin--they look like ugly little mops. Marv was particularly horrified by the Chinese Crested, which they shave down so it looks like an anorexic My Little Pony. I threatened to put together a collage for him of the Chinese Crested, the Japanese Chin, and the Standard Poodle.

Besides the Newfie, my hands down favorite dog has got to be the French Bulldog. The Westminster site has this to say about the breed:

The French Bulldog is a small, compact, heavy-boned and short-haired dog. Its most distinctive features are the 'bat' ears and a short face with undershot jaw giving it a sweet but pugnacious expression...Though some love to hunt down small prey, some retrieve, some are vocal watchdogs, the breed is known mainly as a friendly, loving clown whose raison d'ĂȘtre is to be adored.

Watch the dog show tonight (Tuesday), as the uncle of Des and Bryan's future golden retreiver puppy will be competing!

No comments: