Wednesday, February 04, 2004

It's finally warming up outside, thankfully. I trudged to the post office today, and it was so nice outside with the sun shining and the black ice melting. Last night when I walked through a parking lot to meet Bronwyn for coffee, I made the mistake of choosing to walk on the sidewalk. I totally fell ass over teakettle in about 0.2 seconds. This reminds me of when I went on this trek through the hills of Chiang Mai with Suzi and our friend, Carrie. Throughout this whole thing/ordeal, we had to pick our way over the rocks of several running streams or (what seemed to me to be) small rivers. Most people slipped maybe once or twice, but I managed to fall in EVERY SINGLE TIME. This was slightly funny at the time, and definitely funny in retrospect, but it was totally unfun to slog along in the wet shoes and socks. Some people were born with a natural grace, I guess, and then there's me.

Thinking back to that trek...man, what a humility-inducing experience. It was three days of walking through the hills, which were admittedly gorgeous, but by the end of it I was dead to the world. The craziest part was that the three people who led the pack and zoomed on ahead were the smokers. We would catch up to where they were, and as we gasped for breath and kneaded our howling calves, they would be taking in their last nicotine puff and immediately setting off again. Bastards.

Now, it's the running joke between Suzi and I. When we were in different towns, and would visit eachother, we would assure one another that we signed us up for another trek...this time for a week.

No comments: